Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"I LOVE LUCY" - THE CHRISTMAS EPISODE, TWICE

Since today is "Two For Tuesday" in the "As Seen On TV" department of Inner Toob, and since I'm hoping to run a full Christmas episode from a TV series each day, today I'm presenting two versions of the classic 'I Love Lucy' Christmas episode - one in the original black & white, and the other is the colorized version.

In this case, I prefer the colorized version. Although I respect the work done by cinematographers when they had to compensate for the black & white film and tape, there's just something about Christmas on TV that needs to be in color - even if it does look unnatural at times.

Also, the "Turnerized"* version is more complete. The only thing original in that first version is the fact that it's in black & white. Watch just those first few minutes in the Ricardo apartment as they get ready for the arrival of Santa and then compare it to the color version. You'll see that the black & white copy has been surgically edited. "Surgically" as in 'M*A*S*H' - meatball surgery, performed by meat-heads.

So either watch them both or pick the one that best suits your viewing needs and enjoy!

'I LOVE LUCY' - BLACK & WHITE
PART ONE



PART TWO



'I LOVE LUCY' - COLORIZED
PART ONE



PART TWO



BCnU!

* "Turnerized" is a term that came from the sitcom 'Hi Honey, I'm Home'. The sitcom characters now living in the "real" world had a device that put them in living color among the "real people".

No comments: