Monday, July 14, 2008

THE HAT SQUAD: TONY SNOW

For a year and a half, Tony Snow had been the Press Secretary for President George W. Bush and the White House. Before that he had been a conservative columnist and a commentator associated with FOX News. (His presence on that cable news network is part of his connection to this blog.)

After his stint at the White House, Snow had been hired to be the conservative voice at CNN, but his battle with colon cancer prevented him from contributing very much.

He finally lost that battle and died over the weekend at the age of 53.

[Tony Snow is shown here on 'Meet The Press' with Tim Russert, who himself passed away about a month ago at the age of 58 from a coronary.]

It's human nature to look at the passing of any individual in terms related to our own experience. In the case of Tony Snow, I couldn't relate to his beliefs and positions; I didn't like his bosses - at least not until he joined CNN. His death really didn't move me in the way that Tim Russert's did.

Except in a self-centered way.

For me, it was disturbing to see this on-air graphic:
And then learn that Snow was only five days older than I am.

I've reached that age where I'm going to see more and more obits beginning with "1955"......

Which is fine, so long as none of them are for me for awhile.

Like I said, self-centered. I admit it and I apologize, but it's something we all do.

My condolences to his family......

BCnU....
Toby OB

1 comment:

Joe B. said...

You are a much kinder soul than I am, obviously, from this post.